Fashion – Ruckus Apparel - February 28, 2011 in Fashion
In fashion today we have an awesome group coming from Denver, Colorado by the name of Ruckus Apparel! Relax as we get to know Ruckus Apparel more and how they started with their brand!
Clothing line name: Ruckus Apparel City / State: Denver, Colorado Established date: 2009 Website: www.ruckusapparel.com
Price range for clothing: $32.00 – $265.00 Where to buy your clothing: www.ruckusapparel.bigcartel.com
So tell us about yourself and your brand?
- Ruckus is not for the faint at heart. It is reserved for those who understand the simple truth that “Good is the enemy of Great”. Every time you wear this brand it is a statement. It’s a statement to yourself and to those around you that you are ready, no matter what the cost or the circumstance, to be about something bigger. It says — today I will push myself to be better than who and what I was yesterday. We are the people who train while others sleep. We are the people that when we come into a room you notice it – and so does your girlfriend. We are the people who understand that we are role models, whether we like it or not. We are the people that when we hit you – you know who it was. We sweat, bleed, and work harder than anyone you know. We are the leaders, and now people will know who we are – because in our hearts and on our bodies we will be wearing RUCKUS. Because there is no patron saint of mediocrity.
How did you come up with the name?
- I didn’t really pick the name Ruckus – Ruckus kind of picked itself and just stuck. Like your nickname when you’re a kid I guess. It’s really fitting though, not only to the clothes themselves, but it’s also a really good representation of the kind of people that we cater to and who wear Ruckus.
What best describes your line & who is it targeted to?
- Our clothes are made for anybody, well… anybody that is confident and has pride in what they do. Our clothes are for the Gangsters, Preachers, Hustlers, Musicians, Brawlers, Bankers, Athletes, Models, etc. Anybody who is aggressive about following their dreams and doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty in the process will like Ruckus. When you see someone wearing RUCKUS, you can rest assured that they are up for a challenge, and that they are going to stand up for what they believe in, and stand firm.
As far as stylistically, Classic Tough is how I traditionally like to describe our clothes. Were like were Diesels cousin… from the other side of the tracks, haha.
What influenced you to start this line?
- If I’m remembering correctly, I was wearing a “Hurley” logo shirt, and it hit me like – I don’t want to rep someone else’s stuff, I wanna rep my own stuff. So I made a few shirts just for myself to wear, and then people starting asking about them, and where they could buy them, and they when I said I made them, they asked me to make them one. Haha, so I would print like 10 shirts, and sell em out of my car, and then when those sold I would use all the money and print twenty, and so on and so on. Eventually I was selling too many and I had to become legal and get legit. And RUCKUS was born.
How is your brand different from others out there?
- Our marketing is based around events, whether it’s a fashion show or renting out a movie theater for a midnight showing of Tombstone, or a white water rafting trip. I firmly believe in community outreach and bettering the people around you and creating a positive message. With us it sometimes comes off offensive, or cocky, but its like – you either ride with us, or you collide with us. RUCKUS also differs because we don’t really follow trends. I make clothes that I like. I could care less about the critics, or “this seasons colors”. Then for the girls, I just make stuff that I think is hella sexy, haha. Hopefully people think I have good taste.
Are there any challenges you run into while running a business?
- A ton. This industry is cutthroat. You have people copying you, stealing your style, hating on your stuff, etc. You gotta have thick skin. A recent challenge with me personally is letting all the haters roll off. Because in all honesty, RUCKUS is a direct reflection of ME, Ruckus in short is ME. So if people don’t like it, or don’t like what were doing, it reflects back onto ME. So learning when to fight and go to war, and learning when to sweat the small stuff is a struggle for me, because in all honesty – I love confrontation, I love the fight. But I gotta learn when to brush it off, as opposed to unleashing the dogs.
What ways did you find promoting your brand worked?
- We promote primarily through our Army of fans and supporters. Im so blessed with having such awesome people in my corner. From musicians, to athletes, to fighters, etc. The Ruckus Army is everywhere, and they are our biggest promoters. We support the underground.
Are there any future plans for your line?
- HUGE plans ahead… Were getting into cut&sew, accessories, and a few other surprises I cant quite reveal just yet.
How did you hear about FKN Famous & what do you think of us?
- You guys always have the breaking news on Hip Hop and new music, so I follow your site closely so I can always know what’s goin on.
Any last shout outs?
- First off, thank you to my personal Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for saving my life. Past that, big thanks to my boys GutterMouth Productions, you are the real deal, I couldn’t be here without you. Huge thanks to my girl Jo Dang Professional makeup and Brett Seeley photography for always being in BEASTMODE, you guys are unbelievable. Big Ups to Questor Sapnu and the AMAZING Jet Hotel for always bein so awesome to us. Also - Thanks to my boys Brandon Herbel, Matt Skiff, and Mike Cortada for always blowing my mind, your guys’ creativity never ceases to amaze me. I also want to thank the DEATH CREW and the Ruckus Army for always being in my corner.